Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Giraffe in Ginza


I was sorting through some of my keitai photos because I needed to clear some memory to make it run more smoothly. I came across this one. It took me a while to figure it out, but at the time of the photo, I was walking through one of the main streets of Ginza at night. Actually, it was only about 5 pm, but it was already dark. Ginza is a really pretty area to go for a walk at night since they make an effort to spruce it up and hang lights everyone. All the haute couture brand names and big name stores are in that area somewhere.

I happened to look up, and there, on what looked to be about the 8th or 9th floor of the building across the street, seemed to be a giraffe. Yup, clearly a giraffe. I don't think it was real since it didn't move its head perceptibly while I was standing there trying to get a clear enough and close enough photo of it. I only had the keitai on me at the time, but I so wished for my more powerful DSLR camera so that I might get a close up of the giraffe's face. It did strike me as peculiar but gimmicky. It did make me want to run into the building and see what the giraffe was all about, but I refrained from indulging that particular whim. To this day, it remains one of those Tokyo mysteries to me.

So all I have to show for that evening is this one photo of a white building with lots of windows that has a giraffe peering out onto the streets of Ginza. Walking down that same street, I can't recall seeing that same giraffe again. Now, I have to make it one of my missions to find it again.

No comments: