Thursday, July 31, 2008

Coffee in Tokyo: single serving brews



Tokyo is definitely not hurting for its share of coffee shops. There's a Starbucks or two or three (or five or six) strategically placed around the busiest train stations. Even if you can't find one, there are the look-alikes. I like to call them that because the logo is similar to Starbucks in that there is a circle and the name of the shop and the sign is always perpendicular to the building so that as you are walking by on the street, your eyes can't fail to see the coffee shop sign. I'll have to do a special blog on coffee shop signage because it's just so weird to see. I'll have to go back to a strip of street that has 3 or 4 coffee shops in a row where you can see them all together in one photo.

Other shops that I patronize because I know that they have soy milk that I can drink include: Tulley's, Dean & Deluca. I have tried a few other coffee shops but with no soy milk, I have been relegated to having only a plain cup of coffee. I try to avoid those as much as possible.

In this post's accompanying video, I had a plain cup of coffee. I wasn't at one of the cornerstore coffee houses described above, but actually it was New Year's time here in Japan and only the larger restaurants, or the ones located strategically in tourist like places, are open. This happened to be a Teppanyaki place (more in another post) and after the main course, they move you to a dining area away from the chef and the grill. For the dessert course, they seat you at a regular table, with no chef to watch. At this venue, the waitress actually prepared our coffees in front of us. We watched it fresh brew into single serving cup sizes literally right under our noses. This seems to be a popular style of serving coffee here as the patrons can see how fresh the coffee actually is.

After this experience, I noticed in the grocery stores that they sell packages of coffee
grinds in single serving, disposable funnels and strainer. The brands I like are Key Coffee and Mon Cafe. These days, I prefer this style since usually, I am only making coffee for one at home. I used to have a cafeterre stove top coffee making contraption from Montreal until I left it on the stove a little too long on an emergency run to the grocery store and came back to the super strong, bitter scent of roasted coffee grinds. Now, I can't get rid of the smell and the coffee it produces doesn't taste as good. I haven't been able to get back to Montreal to replace it. Now, I may just leave it as a relic from my university days and keep buying these single serving coffee grinds with funnel and strainer. It's so convenient and there's nothing to clean up afterwards. I recycle both the grinds and the funnel paper.

No comments: