Thursday, August 14, 2008

Yoyogi park and bugs

I saw this little guy amidst a rose bush and gazebo in the middle of Yoyogi park and laughed at how he reminded me of the little RAID bugspray cartoon ad from about about 12 - 15 years ago. Apparently, this is a very powerful and deadly insect (to other smaller insect). I was lucky for this shot since he patiently waited for me to adjust my camera to the right settings and find a comfortable way to part the thorny rose bush, straddle the small gate, contort my upper body and zoom in. All of this took about 4 or 5 minutes. The passersby were all thinking that I was a nutcase. I could tell, it showed on their faces. I think that a few others with impressive looking camera lenses wanted to come over and take a snap of whatever it was that causing me to show such interest, but probably felt a little uneasy doing so in such a tight space. You see I had to keep the thorny rose bush leaves away from me while I was taking the photos. The thorns actually do deter the sensible; it's just the crazy and dedicated that like to do stupid things like risk their eyesight and a mean looking bug sting to get the closeup. This was by far and away the most time I had spent while in the park looking for something interesting to shoot.
Don't get me wrong. The park in the middle of the summer on a Sunday afternoon is very interesting. There are tonnes of buskers, artists, sports enthusiasts and photographers and many photo ops if you are patient enough. I just think that in terms of risk factor and excitement, the bug closeups were the best I had done to warrant the curious glances my way. Everything else seemed so low key by comparison.

Other things that caught my camera's eye ...

- the water fountains

- drummers
- a dancing caricaturist

No comments: