Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Beach Volleyball Location misprint

So now that I’m a little better rested, definitely more calm, and not so dehydrated, I am ready to write about the experience of going to the wrong site for the Mermaid Cup tournament yesterday. Above is the actual information for the tournament. Miwa Asao is pictured on the right.

I am an avid reader of the Metropolis, which is Japan’s largest distribution of an English language magazine and it’s free and distributed at various English-loving restaurants, pubs, bookstores, record stores and other places throughout the whole of Japan. I regularly pick up a copy of the magazine on a Friday afternoon when it first comes out at the nearby California restaurant or at Tower Records 7th floor in Shibuya. I love opening it up and checking out the week’s upcoming events. I read the articles too, but not before I skim through the events and search for the “ad of the week”. I have to admit that reading their pick of the stand out, most memorable classified ad of the week has now become a ritual for me. Reading this new edition’s “ad of the week” was no exception and the laugh I got almost made me want to forgive them their misprint. Keyword here is ALMOST.

For the last 3 or 4 editions now, I’ve noticed that there was a Beach Volleyball tournament at the end of July/ start of August timeframe. Actually, in the Metropolis, there were 2 events listed and both of them were listed as being in “Daiba”. This is another name for “Odaiba” without the honorific “O” in front of the place name. Having done my online search for this sand beach and volleyball spot in Odaiba, I figured out that I had to get to Shimbashi station on JR Yamanote Line, change to the Yurikamome monorail, and get off at Odaiba Kaihin Koen. No problem so far. I did it and got there. The total fare at this point for me was about 480 yen.

Shimbashi station's entrance to Yurikamome Monorail line - The only conductorless train line the world.

Luckily there was a Starbucks to get me going in the morning enroute to the platform.

I should have known that something as up --- the place was virtually deserted.

Time of arrival on the monorail.

Once I arrived at Odaiba Kaihin Koen, I found the map of the vicinity on the wall by the exit. I couldn’t see a “beach” too readily on the map, but looked up to see what attractions or buildings are at each of the exits. I saw it: DECKS Beach in Tokyo. Aha! This has got to be it. I follow those signs and head over to Decks, which is also a shopping mall complex. I get there and ask about the competition. No one knows what I’m talking about and I’m asking in Japanese. When I go around to the back of the mall complex, I see it --- beach front, white sand, white tents. What was disconcerting at this point was the lack of volleyball courts set up, the lack of players and the lack of fans watching. Before I head down onto the beach, I decide to pull the copy of Metropolis with the ticket office phone number and call the number.

The conversation went something like this (but in Japanese):

  • - “Moshi moshi,” This is the standard phone greeting in Japan which means “hello”.
  • - “Hi, do you speak English?” That’s me asking.
  • - “I’m sorry but my English isn’t that great.”
  • - “Okay, I’ll speak in Japanese but please be gentle with me.”
  • - “About today’s Mastercard Mermaid Cup Beach Volleyball tournament in Odaiba, where exactly is it? Which Stadium or venue?”
  • - “Odaiba? The tournament is not in Odaiba. It’s in Fujisawa Shi in Kanagawa Prefecture. It’s in a completely different Prefecture, not in Tokyo at all.”
  • - “What? Are you kidding me? What do you mean it’s not in Tokyo? Not in Odaiba? Are you sure? Mastercard Mermaid Cup?” At this point, I’ve reached a high pitch squeal.
  • - “Yes, that’s right. Today’s Mermaid Cup tournament is in Fujisawa in Kanagawa Prefecture. Where are you now? Maybe I can direct you to get here.”
  • - “I’m in Odaiba at Decks beach.”
  • - “Wow, you’re totally in the wrong place.”
  • - “You think?”
  • - “Why did you think the match was there?”
  • - “Because that’s what the Metropolis printed and the only beach volleyball courts in Odaiba are at Odaiba Kaihin Koen eki.”
  • - “Yes, well, you are in the wrong spot.” Tell me about it.
  • - “Okay, so how do I get to the tournament from here?”

This was followed by a barrage of instructions, which I had to have him repeat twice and then ask him to speak slowly and then ask him to spell out the station names. He gave up after 2 minutes and pulled over a colleague who then gave me more precise directions. I didn’t like the first guy’s ambiguity at the definiteness of his directions, so this 2nd guy’s instructions were great. Apparently it would take up to 2 hours to get to the tournament.

I feel like this sign was placed there specifically for me. "Hey you turkey's, this place is closed. No tournament here."

Since I had to get back to Shimbashi station, my visit to Odaiba’s beach was shortlived. I phoned my friend who was just on his way out of his house to meet me and stopped him from leaving his home. I made him look up the directions online to verify. He confirmed that all lines and stations mentioned existed. Since he lives near Kawasaki eki on the Tokkaido line already, he decided to just hop on the train that I was on when I got there. He instructed me to only get on compartment 2 and only that one. I called him when I boarded the Tokkaido line train, and like clockwork, I waved at him through the window and he boarded. From Shimbashi to Kugemome Kaigan eki, it cost about 820 yen.

We found no further “gotchas” to get to the match. In total, I travelled for about 3.5 hours and spent about 1600 yen before arriving at the correct beach. Next time, I am calling the event organizers before I set foot out the door. Lesson learned – even the Metropolis magazine is not infallible. On the plus side, my Japanese is improving.

No comments: